Tel: (253) 620-0033
OWNER AND LEAD ATTORNEY
Seattle University School of Law
2004 – 2007
Seattle University School of Law
2001 – 2004
Bachelor of Arts
Angela is rated SUPURB by AVVO, with a 10 of 10 rating. She has also been awarded the “Client’s Choice Award” for the last five years in a row with over 50 client reviews on the public website. She is a member of the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Washington State Bar Association, and the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association, as well as the National College of DUI Defense. She is licensed to practice law in courts throughout Washington in both State and Federal Court.
Mrs. Horwath has gained extensive trial experience through out her career. She began working on criminal trials prior to opening Horwath Law, when she worked at The Department of Assigned Counsel, in Tacoma, WA. She has continued to add to this experience over the past 8 years as a private DUI attorney, taking multiple cases to trial every year. Trial is not something that all DUI attorneys are willing to take on, but with the experience that Mrs. Horwath has, trial is not an intimidation to her or her associates.
Angela has written hundreds of motions and briefs for DUI cases. In a recent DUI trial, Mrs. Horwath wrote and argued a motion for dismissal, due to improper blood draw. Her argument was original, and had never been argued before. The judge agreed with her argument and the case was dismissed. Her tactics for negotiation are respected among local DUI attorneys, judges and prosecutors within the community as well. In 2015, Mrs. Horwath had the opportunity to teach a course to local DUI attorneys regarding her negotiation strategies. Due to her strong approach to her cases, over 90% of the firm’s DUI cases are reduced to a lesser charge. More information on the results of her cases can be found on her results page.
When an individual is facing a drunk driving, (DUI), Physical Control, or MIP, one of the most important decisions they make is who to retain as their DUI attorney. Choosing an affordable and experienced DUI attorney that will give your case confidential, personal, and professional attention is of great importance.
Mrs. Horwath employs two attorneys In her downtown Tacoma office, both of whom are senior associates with the firm. Working alongside the attorneys are two paralegals that have been with the firm since 2010. Horwath Law clients have affectionately referred to this group of professionals as “the dream team”. With all three of these attorneys skillfully defending each case together, clients of Horwath Law are receiving additional value to the care and attention that each case deserves.
Ms. Horwath’s legal background, trial expertise, and negotiation skills can make all the difference when you or someone you love is faced with a Washington DUI, Physical Control, or other alcohol related offense.
From her office in Tacoma, she regularly appears in court representing people accused of DUI in Tacoma, Puyallup, Kent, Lakewood, Olympia, Seattle, Port Orchard, Fife, and other Western Washington Courts.
Ms. Horwath is a member of the National College for DUI Defense, which is an elite group of DUI Attorneys across the country.
Washington Criminal Defense Experience
- Mrs. Horwath has been the lead counsel on thousands of DUI and criminal cases
- She has authored hundreds of legal motions, many of which have led to dismissal or significant reduction of the charges
- She was recently published on the topic of DUI Blood Draw Cases (Washington Criminal Defense Magazine, August 2015
- Mrs. Horwath has taught a DUI Negotiation and Issue Spotting Class to Pierce County DUI Attorneys (July 2015)
Some of Ms. Horwath’s Career Highlights include:
- Many Not Guilty verdicts at trial
- Avoided all charges being filed on a 1st degree Assault booking
- Successfully argued for a DUI to be dismissed based on improper blood draw. Judge agreed and dismissed the case.
- Successfully argued prosecutorial misconduct to a Judge during a Juvenile theft case. The Judge agreed and dismissed the case, three weeks into the trial.
- Successfully prevented a 15.9 year old juvenile charged with Murder in the Second Degree from being tried as an adult at a decline hearing.
- Defended and tried several hundred criminal cases from Juvenile Sex Crimes to misdemeanor DUI’s
- Successfully tried and received Not Guilty Verdicts on many other cases including charges of DUI, Assault, Malicious Mischief, No Contact Order Violations
- Successfully helped a man get released from jail after serving only two months of a five year sentence
- Persuaded the State to dismiss a Murder in the Second Degree Charge.
- Defended or tried over 1000 misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases, including DUI’s, Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance, Resisting Arrest, Obstructing, Reckless Driving, Driving with License Suspended 1st.,2nd., and 3rd. degree, Unlawful Display of Firearms, Assault Fourth Degree, Harassment, Malicious Mischief and Domestic Violence Assaults, to name only a few
- Lead Counsel on misdemeanor cases, most frequently in; Pierce, King, Thurston, Kitsap and District as well as the Municipal Courts in those counties.
- Successfully presented legal motions and obtained dismissals in dozens of cases, including, DUI, MIP, Prostitution, Indecent Exposure, DWLS 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, Domestic Violence Assault, Assault in the 4th degree, Possession of Stolen Property, Drug Loitering, and Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Successfully argued motions before Fife Municipal Court, Tacoma Municipal Court, Pierce County District Court, Thurston District Court, King County District Court, and Federal Court
- Successfully represented hundreds of clients at Probation/Revocation Hearings in District and Municipal Courts.
Ratings and Awards
40 under 40 – Angela Horwath
|South Sound Business Magazine||June, 2019|
Best of South South – Horwath Law
|South Sound Magazine||2017, 2019|
Top 40 Under 4 Criminal Defense Lawyers in WA
|American Society of Legal Advocates||2015|
Top 10 Under 40 Attorney Award of State of Washington
|National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys||2015|
10 Best Attorneys for the State of Washington
|American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys||2014|
Client’s Choice Award
|Avvo||2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019|
Top 10 Under 40 Attorney Award
|National Academy of Criminal defense Attorneys||2014|
Top 40 Under 40 Criminal Defense Lawyers
|American Society of Legal Advocates||2013|
|Avvo||2013 – Present|
8 Leaders in Criminal Defense